Towards the mine of tomorrow
What do we mean by modernisation?
Modernisation is not simply mechanisation and/or gradual implementation of new technology. It is not the replacement of people with machines. It is not a euphemism for job losses.
Modernising the mining industry involves:
- Turning to account South Africa’s mineral resources in the safest, healthiest, most efficient, cost-effective and sustainable manner possible
- Recognising that people are at the heart of our industry with focus on improving skills, health, quality of life and fulfilment of employees
- Conservation of natural resources, preservation and restoration of the environment
- Contributing to the development of local and labour-sending communities
- Recognising that metals and minerals are valuable, useful and necessary
- Transformation and growth as key imperatives of the mining industry and the nation